Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Vegan Lemon Ginger Honey Spread


 A couple of weeks back, I attended a full-day conference on alternative economies. The invitation included a request for pot luck food if any were so moved - and I was so moved. I decided to bring something everyone could enjoy, and since I had a rather large zucchini sitting in the fridge, I thought a nice vegan zucchini bread would fit the bill nicely.

Not being vegan myself, I like my zucchini bread with a schmear of cream cheese and honey, but it seemed only fair to bring a vegan spread to go with the vegan bread. I figured someone out there must have a recipe for something like a tofu substitute for cream cheese. I mean, there's a tofu substitute for just about everything else, right? Apparently not. So, I was on my own with a package of firm, silken tofu and the contents of my panty. I crossed my fingers and started improvising... and came up with this light, sweet and slightly nutty spread.


Lemon Ginger Tofu Spread with Honey


by Deb Powers

Ingredients

  • 16 oz. firm tofu, silken texture
  • 1 large lemon
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 4 to 5 tbsp. honey

Instructions


  1. In a large bowl, mash the tofu with a fork until it is about the texture of cream of wheat cereal.
  2. Grate the lemon peel into the tofu, using as much of it as possible.
  3. Add the juice of the lemon to the tofu.
  4. Stir in the ginger and honey.
  5. Transfer the tofu mixture to a small personal blender or baby food blender and process until it is thick, creamy and light.

Store the spread in a covered jar in the refrigerator for up to three weeks.

Yield: 2 cups
Prep time:20 minutes
Cook time:0 minutes
Total time:20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment